DIY Landlord - The most important person in property investment



Nowadays finding a good and reliable contractor to do work is not easy. 

The good ones normally costs a bomb. I define a good contractor as a contractor who provides good workmanship. There contractors normally do their job with passion and has lots of experience. For example, cutting out the tiles into exact measurements and smothering the edges without leaving black stains. 

The reliable ones on the other hand are very hard to come by, they normally have their schedules fully booked. I define a reliable contractor as a contractor respects client's time. When you request him to come at 9am, he actually comes at 9am. I have had a few bad experience with one lousy contractor where who didn't even bother to turn up for appointments, they normally insist on you paying cash after the job has been completed per day.

In the early years I made the mistake of focusing on only a single contractor. Later I modified my strategy to have a list of contractors (>5) on standby for the jobs I require. This way, when contractor A cannot do it, I ask contractor B to fix it or continue it.

One problem I notice is contractors also are not interested in the small items like fixing a leaky faucet and fixing toilet bowl flushes. They are more interested in the big ticket major renovation items like tiling the entire bathroom and replace the entire unit stuff. As such I have since pick up some of the DIY skills myself and do the job myself. Doing so saves my lots of money and I have more control over my time.