Trying my hand in abstract art

I always wanted to buy abstract art but was put off by the costs. Walking into any art gallery you will find these paintings to be few thousand ringgit in price. The DIY spirit in me decided why not try doing it myself. I search and found this place in Mines shopping center which sold crafts and art equipment and bought the stuff. To save costs, I bought brushes from normal hardware shop.

As this is my first paintings since standard 6, I decided to go small first by painting in a smaller canvases. If the results turns out well then only graduate to use bigger set of canvasses.

I also did some research into color theory and decided to go on 2 concepts. One painting to create a relaxing mood while the other to create a more productive mood. The relaxing mood painting will be using shades of green to simulate the calming effects of grass green. The productive mood painting will be use bolder and more fiery colors to make it more cheerful. 

The results turned out ok and the amount of acrylic paint used was very little so overall I can safely say it's way cheaper to DIY on abstract art. The best thing of all, abstract art does not require any skill at all, its beauty lies in its messiness. I had always did badly in my art classes during primary school days, maybe because those art classes always wanted us to paint object or scenery and we are graded based on how close the painting is to the object or scenery. 

The initial lessons learnt from this first try is 


  1. Need to get more color shades. I did not buy enough shades of the color (eg only light green and dark green).
  2. Need to supplement paint brushes with painting props to create  more unique effects (eg nettings, sponge, circular covers)
  3. Need to buy more canvasses to try. Total time it took me to paint the 2 pictures were 30 mins (no kidding !). This is because I had pre planned the color palette to use and the technique to paint.
  4. Need to visit more art galleries or online galleries to get more inspiration and ideas. The 2 paintings were not copied from somewhere but I roughly copied the color used from other paintings which I had previously seen before.

DIY amateur abstract art
DIY amateur abstract art
DIY amateur abstract art
DIY amateur abstract art
All painting equipment and canvasses were purchased from SpotLight Malaysia



Update : 12/08/15
Recently got myself a Yi Action Camera (by Xiao Mi) and decided to film my 3rd attempt at doing abstract art. Reason I decided to record was that I realized after doing my first 2 paintings I could not remember reproduce the exact paintings again. I reckon if I record the steps I took to paint the paintings I can reuse back the same techniques but using different set of color schemes.