Varnishing wood wardrobe

My mom was complaining about the house’s built in wood wardrobe was growing some fungus and she had to wipe the fungus off every month during her regular spring cleaning sessions. I tried placing moisture absorbing capsicum packs but still fungus still grew on the wood. Malaysia’s high humidity also is not helping because it promotes fungi growth. The wood wardrobe was installed around 6 years ago so probably the shellac on the wood has thinned out already.

So I went to my local hardware shop to shop for some sort of varnish or shellac which has got anti-fungus properties. I was given a varnish manufactured by a company called TOA, it was labeled as ultra premium grade wood stain and priced at RM40. I took it back and painted on the wardrobe and it yielded a shiny sheen which made the wardrobe look like new again. It's so shiny new that items placed inside the wardrobe are reflected back. Overall I'm quite satisfied with the results.

Wood varnishes comes with color and clear colored ones. Based on my observation, its more safe to use the clear colored ones because matching the wood color to the wood varnish color can be quite challenging. The colors might not match and it will look different. Get the colored wood varnishes if your furniture’s color has faded very badly if not just stick with the clear color ones. Also take note to buy a face mask because wood varnish evaporates a very strong smell which is not for the faint hearted.

Varnish/Wood Stain with clear color
Shiny until the blanket's reflection can bee seen