How to research phone number to name using DuitNow

My hacker friend just mentioned to me about this tech tip. 

Given a phone number, how to get the person's name. I was wondering why he was doing this and only found out later he was using it to find names of ladies's phone number he got.

You can use DuitNow function in all retail banking websites to do this. DuitNow is a service to transfer money via handphone numbers. Just do a dummy transaction without actually completing the transaction and you can get phone number to name.



For me I see a few ways this tip might work. 

1) get the actual names of persons (debtors, borrowers, delinquent tenants)
2) get the names of people who want to stay anonymous

It doesn't seem to work on some phone numbers, not sure why but will update if I find out why it can't.




I believe this can also be done using BoostPay but the other person needs to have a BoostPay account.