Mizu Fully Synthetic Motor Oil 5W40 for my Proton Inspira aka Mitsubishi Lancer rebadged 🛢️

There's an online store (Mizu Corp) on Lazada and Shopee that sells this brand of motor oil called Mizu. The store sells semi and fully synthetic engine oil. They have other products like transmission fluid and oil filter but these are not their 

I know a bit of Japanese and Mizu in Japanese means water and I was a bit worried that this was a watered down motor oil. There's also cases of motor oil being bleached or using 2nd hand motor oil but these cases are mostly done on branded motor oil.

However I decided to give it a try since my car (Proton Inspira) is already reaching 10 yrs old. Proton Inspira requires 1 1/3 bottles of engine oil, therefore I had to buy 2 bottles of the Mizu engine oil.  At 1st glance,the most attractive point of this motor oil is its price.




Currently this motor oil is selling slightly below RM60. During sales period, this motor oil can be purchased for RM50. Sometimes to get it at that RM50 price, you need to buy around 4 bottles so I will share it with colleague to buy. 

The oil is fully synthetic so the mileage usage is around 10,000 KM. Normal engine mineral oil have mileage of only 5,000 KM. The Mizu engine oil has got certification from API (American Petroleum Institute) and has a liability insurance from Lonpac of RM1 million.

For the price purchased 4 litre below RM60, it is considered very cheap.

I've tested this oil on my 9 year Proton Inspira, I can't really tell difference but is been almost 9,000 KMs already with no issues. I've done e cycles changes so far and there's no side effects on my 9 year old car. To be frank, I can't comment on the quality because sometimes feeling of smooth run after oil change can be a placeboo effect. My car's engine oil capacity is 4 litres, so I had to use 1.5 bottles of this engine oil which probably comes out to be RM75 (RM50+RM25).

I bought the Mizu engine oil from Lazada and bring it to my local mechanic  for oil change for a small RM15 fee (exclude oil filters). I'm currently using the 5W40 type, there's 5W30 type also. The reason why I chose 5W40 over 5W30 is because 5W40 is thicker and can protect engine of older cars. Typically 5W40 are recommended for old cars while 5W30 are recommended for new cars. The latest oil the company has is 0W40 which for premium cars.


My cost for engine oil change would be RM53 (engine oil) + RM15 (oil filter) + RM15 (labor charges) = RM83. (Year 2019)


Disclaimer : I am not paid to write this post. Use the engine oil at your own risk. I'm posting this to show some tips on how I save some money on car service, I'm only using it on an old car. I would rather use a lower grade oil than a fake engine oil with a reputable brands. During this Covid19 period, saving money is even more important than ever. 

Updates : I bought more during the Lazada 11/11 sales. You are not able to get the oil at RM55 and below anymore as there is slight price increase due after the company got API certification and liability insurance.



So far I've done 3 times oil change on my Proton Inspira using Mizu Engine Oil and my trusty car's been running smoothly without any engine problems. I can't really comment on the smoothness as I'm not really that sensitive into the smoothness of the drive and I sometimes feels psychological factor might affect my feel.



"Cheap price does not mean low quality"


Here's a video from one of my favorite Youtuber telling about "What happens if engine oil is not changed". He confirms that car engines needs to have its oil changed according to schedule. A car that does not change engine oil frequently is very prone to internal engine damage.



📌Links