Changed my Proton Inspira's (aka Mitsubishi Lancer) suspension to coilovers by BC Racing V1 Series

People who know me know that I'm more of a car modder than a person who buys new cars or second hand cars. I prefer to improve on things than to buy new or buy something good. Recently after I changed tyres (215/50R17 Continental UC6) on my car (Proton Inspira aka Mitsubishi Lancer) and the tire shop mechanic informed me that my car’s suspension was wrecked. The mechanic did a bounce test and it was found that the car bounced a bit after pushing the car downwards a bit. In theory, cars should not bounce back if the suspension is working if you press the car downwards.



I decided it was time to change to a sports suspension just for the sake of testing as I’ve heard that sports suspension are more stable but will cause more bumpiness. 

I did an internet search for workshops and was found a chain performance parts shop called Kaki Motor in Cyberjaya.  Kaki Motor is located at Autoville Cyberjaya. Autoville Cyberjaya is one of the very rare industrial area in Cyberjaya, I notice a lot of car related workshops in Autoville.

The sales personnel introduced me to BS Racing V1 coilovers which costs me RM2,400 for all 4 units (2 front, 2 back). 

Racing coilovers are more versatile than standard shock absorbers because the height and ride hardness can be adjusted.

BS Racing coilovers comes from Taiwan and is priced quite reasonable compared to other coilovers like Kayaba, Tein and HKS which can cost above RM3,000. The price of the coilovers includes installation services and 1 time return for re-tuning. Coilovers are basically like adjustable suspension that comes with sports spring. What I like about coilovers is I can change many settings like the height of the suspension and the hardness/softness of the ride. If you want to lower your car, coilovers are a better and safer option rather than using a shorter spring.

I had a good experience dealing with Kaki Motor workshop people and I would recommend petrol heads to go there for their car upgrades. Kaki Motor also does car service besides doing performance parts upgrade. Customer service was good and everything was very transparent. 

After installation of the coilovers, my car felt more bumpy a bit but it also felt more stable whether on straight road or cornering. It felt much harder than the original Proton Inspira APM brand shock absorber but seems more balanced and stable, not so bouncy. My tuning was medium hard and medium height (slightly lower than stock suspension). 

Overall I was quite satisfied with the BS V1 series racing coilovers. It was certainly money well spent.

🔗 Links

https://www.kakimotor.com/

https://www.facebook.com/kakimotorcyberjaya

https://www.bc-racing.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Amateur-Sports-Team/BS-Racing-183133219165411/