Replacing a Y fork Premium Window Handle in a Cyberjaya Condominium 🪟


Long time I didn't write about doing any DIY already, I was partly busy with work and also had no time to document down my DIY jobs. One of the unit's window frame could not close properly and I investigated it, found that the window handle innards was a Y fork type. The protruding part broke and so it (window handle) could not lift the window frame anymore. This design of window handle hides the locking lever, normal window handle the locking lever is seen outside.

The  Y fork metal piece is supposed to hook into the window frame's lever and then lift the lever up to unlock the window. The window frame's lever is a thin metal bar inside the window frame itself, it's not visible from the exterior of the window.
Here's a comparison between the good window handle and a broken one. The broken one is on the right, one of the part of the Y fork was chipped off due to normal wear and tear and it always is 1 side of the Y fork that will break eventually.
Replacing a new handle was easy but getting the part (window handle) wasn't, as hardware shops do not sell such premium looking window handles. I had to source the window handle direct from the original manufacturer's factory in Puchong. The issue with using premium products in house furnishing is that you cannot get the parts from general hardware shops, I've encountered this problem with toilet bowl systems, kitchen taps and internal hot water tanks. 

Some people ask why I don't get a contractor to fix the window handle, well..I have a full time 9-5 office job and contractors nowadays cannot come at moment's notice and do not work on Sundays. Contractors also don't want to do simple job and earn RM100-RM150 for their work per job, they prefer bigger contracts which will make them more money.

While I didn't really save a lot of money, I gained a lot of experience in doing this DIY. 

r