Replace Proton Inspira/Mitsubishi Lancer Remote Control Key battery 🔋 🔑

Over the weekend I replaced the Proton Inspira/Mitsubishi Lancer remote control battery. The remote control was no longer responding to the button presses.

Equipment needed :
  • ultra small head philips (+) screwdriver
  • penknife (if not able to unscrew)
  • CR1616 3v penny battery


The Proton Inspira/Misubishi Lancer uses a CR1616 battery for their remote control, the battery lasted around 2 years of active use. I believe this battery type (CR1616) is available in MrDIY stores (PairDeer brand) but I just bought a better brand (Panasonic) as I didn't want to keep changing these batteries. CR1616 battery retails around RM2 to RM2.50 per piece from Shopee and Lazada, it's better to buy a good quality battery as lower quality battery might cause leaks.


I encountered 1 problem which was the screw on the remote control was already flat (not able to unscrew using screwdriver) so I had to use a pen knife to pry open the remote control (yes, it can be done even with the screw). Inside the remote control there is a red casing containing the battery, good thing the old battery was not leaking so replacing a new battery was a breeze. 

Overall I'm quite satisfied I was able to do this. Changing the battery outside would cost around RM20 at least but the joy is more  from DIY.