DIY Bathroom basin sink tap replacement 🚻


Long time I didn't put up a DIY post already. Today's job was the bathroom basin tap was leaking and water flow was slow. The old tap was DOE brand and lasted for many years, nowadays quite hard to find this brand (DOE) already with the influx of many brands from China.


The angle of the screw nut under the basin was quite challenging and as such I couldn't use a normal plumber's spanner. I had to use a cone spanner to open the undersink screw nut. The cone spanner is not commonly sold in the normal hardware shops but nowadays the cone spanner can easily be bought at MrDIY stores.


After removing the water hose, I had to use a screw driver to poke into the inlet water valve to clear all the dirt that accumulated in the pipe throughout the years. Sure enough after removing all the dirt the water flow become back to normal, strong and steady. I left the water running for around 15mins to make sure the water pathways was absolutely smooth running.


I replaced the old tap with a newer modern looking tap. The newer tap is much functional as the mouth of the tap extends further into the sink. I also replaced the water hose (30 cm) as the old hose was quite hardened already and probably would be brittle in a few years.

I could have bought cheaper taps from MrDIY or online but I wanted to put a higher quality one as I'm already saving money calling a professional plumber.

Overall job was easy (around 30mins) but that is because I had the cone spanner on hand.