Fake Rolex Scam Alert: Alibaba Company Impersonator Attempts to Deceive Consumers

 Alibaba impersonator and the 40 thieves

Just as I was about to go to lunch today, I got a call from a lady informing me that she was from Alibaba offices and during a live stream lucky draw last year in their Kuala Lumpur offices, I had been selected to win a Rolex branded watch.


The catch was that I was only eligible for 50% value of the Rolex watch and had to pay with my own funds the 50% in order to collect the Rolex watch. The reason given why I was only eligible for only half the amount is because I did not respond and identity myself in the live stream. The lady gave me 2 options, 1 was which to come to their offices and pay or pay to another winner’s account to claim his prize (Rolex).

The called (lady) spoke fluent mandarin and had a mainland China accent. She seemed to know my surname also and was very convincing and persuasive. However, it exhausting to speak to her in mandarin as my level of the language was at primary school level so I couldn't understand about 20% of what she was saying.

I politely declined her offer, put down the phone and went about on my business. I already know this was a scam. Not sure where the data leak occurred but nowadays with private data being traded around the Darkweb, it not surprising that my information is being leaked out. There's really no free lunch out there, nobody is going to suddenly give you a Rolex watch without doing any effort.