Car Engine Warning Lights Up - P1590 Fault Code Proton Inspira aka Mitsubishi Lancer - to change transmission fluid

While driving yesterday, there was an engine fault light that popped up on my Proton Inspira. Yes, I drive a Proton Inspira, it's basically a rebadged generation 7 Mitsubishi Lancer. The light was a solid amber color but I didn't notice any difference in the drive experience. 




This 1st time seeing an issue for this car which was been relatively problem free for many years.

So I took a detour and drove to my regular car workshop. The mechanic took out a diagnostics device in the form of an iPad that hooked the iPad into the car and analyzed it from the iPad. He say the error code shown on the diagnostic device (iPad) was P1590.

Then my mechanic also googled the error code P159 and the official description for P1590 was :  
DTC P1590: TC-SST-ECU to ECM Communication Error in Torque Reduction Request 

The mechanic was also clueless on this, he came out with many possibilities, like electrical wiring issues, O2 (oxygen) sensor issue. I’ve known this mechanic for years so normally when he says like that he probably isn't’ sure what the problem is, rather than trying to con me to change everything. 

I was relieved when the mechanic say he will try to reset everything on the car’s computers so that the light will distinguish 1st and the I am to continue to monitor the situation. Meantime, the mechanic also recommended a change in my car's automatic transmission fluid (ATF).


Transmission fluid is used to lubricate the components of a car’s transmission for optimum performance.  Each car manufacturer has their own ATF specifications, putting the wrong brand of ATF in to the car might cause damage to the car's transmission.

Proton Inspira's automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is CVTF-J4 from Mitsubishi Motors. The recommended change interval for automatic transmission fluid is 20,000 KM. Always remember to use manufacturer specific oil, do not use other off market brands as car engines are very sensitive to the type of ATF oil used. 

Note : My car is using the Mitsubishi Motors J4 transmission fluid. The J1 fluid was mistakenly taken out because the mechanic thought my Proton Inspira was a gen1 version. Apparently there is a newer batch of Proton Inspira using the J4 transmission fluid. Do ensure the correct transmission fluid oil is used. The price for one bottle should be below RM50 range.




It’s been 2 months already and so far the engine warning light has not turn on anymore. Will update here if it doesn’t work.  Update : So far after many many months, the warning light no longer come out. I guess the problem was my Proton Inspira required an automatic transmission fluid change.


Update 2021 - The new packaging or CVTF-J4 now is all black.



Updates 20230312
I recently switched to using Mizu branded CVT transmission oil instead of the official Mitsubishi CVT oil for my car with a mileage of 220,000 km. Mizu is an online supplier of economical engine oils, they have since ventured into CVT transmissions oil and brake fluids. I've previously used their engine oil for years but have seen videos of Inspira owners who have tested the Mizu CVT transmission oil.

The price of 1 litre of Mizu CVT oil is only RM21.50, making it a great deal. Proton Inspira requires 4 bottles of the oil. Now, let's see how it performs. Mizu CVT is sold on Shopee and Lazada via their official channel. 




Ads
Support my post by signing up to Petronas Setel App and use my referral : wv6n.


Petronas Setel App revolutionizes the way we fuel up. With a simple tap on your phone, you can pay for petrol, track expenses, and earn rewards seamlessly. No more queues or cash handling. Setel provides a convenient, contactless experience, making refueling hassle-free. Download the app and discover a smarter way to fuel your journeys.