How to record audio coming out of PC (no mic) using Audacity [Windows and Mac]

Recently I signed up for some language course on italki (I wrote an article on it here) and my courses were all conducted over Skype. I wanted a way to record the entire audio coming out of my PC without voice from the microphone and background. With the recording I can playback and revise my learning.

It took me a while to figure out how to do this using Audacity, an open source sound recorder. 

How this is done is before pressing the record button (red dot), set the audio source to be Windows WASAPI and the speaks to be ...(loopback) and then you can start recording. The recordings will be purely the sound coming out from the PC.


This method can also be used to record sounds coming out of Youtube which can be later used for your own videos.

Links